#100dayproject #100daysofplay -- What I learned 101


cousin
On Day 1 I dedicated this project to my dear cousin, Jessica. I send big love out to her, because I miss her very much. I got to Day 100, and upon successfully completing this goal, I rededicate this project to her. Jess, I hope we can get together and play sometime soon. <3

When I started this project, I gave myself a few guidelines.
1. Play
2. Share a photo or other visual--only one
3. Share some thoughts on play, 100 words maximum
4. Can be super shitty, just do it
I hope I will see it through.
I hope this helps me establish a daily writing habit.
I hope to have a good time.
I believe that through exercising my creativity, intentionally cultivating joy and taking better care of my imagination--I will also be able to get down to the hard work that's here and ahead.


1. I did play.

My favorite activity was probably "Bowling for Tilly".

I started to think of some of my chores as play. I think that's a pretty good outlook to come out of this project.

2. I shared photos and a few videos. I stretched the "only one" per day a bit with collages and a few days of "more than one". I felt it was important to limit the number of visuals to keep each post simple on my end, and easy to take in on the audience end.

3. I didn't always write thoughts on play--sometimes I only wrote statements. At times, I came to rely on a visual and a quick statement. I added the guideline of one poem a day, partway through the project. This meant I was reading at least one poem a day.

I LOVED searching for a poem to match my blog posts. It felt like I was writing letters to Delilah with a poem request that I answered myself.

These poems helped me share my thoughts on play. By incorporating poetry, which I care very much about, into my daily practice--it also added a layer of play. So it might seem like a shortcut, but for me, it was a bonus.

4. Somedays were super shitty, because that's just the way. Somedays I did a bad job at this, and remembering this guideline helped me persevere 100 days. "Hey, so what if my post is dull or incomplete, or I am obsessing about the blog statistics--I said it could be shitty, and so I'm fulfilling that requirement today." Also, some days were literally shitty, like the two days I dissected coyote scat. :)

I hope I will see this through
I made it to day 100! Some days were just puffs of smoke (see above about "shitty") -- when I anticipated a stretch where I knew keeping up would be tough, I wrote posts ahead of time. This may seem like cheating, but I maintained play as a priority, even on the days my posts were not stellar. To me, this mindful, intentional prioritization of being playful was the ultimate goal.

I hope this helps me establish a daily writing habit.
This project helped me focus on activities other than scanning the news and social media. It helped me prioritize time each day to feed my creativity. This act of self care has been a significant reminder that "play" each day is part of my emotional wellbeing. I did write daily, and I intend to continue to do so. This project also helped me keep on course sending my work out into the world, so writing goals were met.

I hope to have a good time.  
I did have a good time. This was important to me. I did not want this blog, this project, or the idea of play, to become a chore. It was an act of goodwill to myself to think, "what do I feel like doing today?" and just doing it.

I also appreciate the "fans" who gave feedback, commented on my project, and thanked me. Gerry Sell, who is a blogger, was such a careful reader and commenter. Gerry, thank you for your gift of accompanying me through this.

I believe that through exercising my creativity, intentionally cultivating joy and taking better care of 
my imagination--I will also be able to get down to the hard work that's here and ahead.
This was a good instinct, and also what helped keep me on task. If ever I felt like this was something I didn't have time for, I reminded myself I am helping my brain--and in the end, my brain needs all the help it can get. I want the wires of my creativity to be life, active, and resilient. I want to keep adept at seeing things in multiple ways. Empathy and creativity are things I value, and want to embody in the world. I want to teach my kids to always value their own creativity, and that of others. We can, together, figure our way out of the direst of situations.

A few more thoughts

Sometimes a bit of showmanship was involved. I wanted my play to also be interesting because I had an audience in mind. But this evolved, because somedays I had WAY more fun than what I posted about. Somedays I kept my favorite play to myself.

This got me thinking of public vs. private persona. I'm very aware now of how I present myself on social media vs. how I am face to face, and how I actually see and know myself. They are different. I don't know what more to say about that. I'm actually a private person, even though I don't play a private person on social media. Hm.

And sometimes, when you are seeking an owl pellet, you have to dissect a few scat piles before you find your pellet. And your pellet can still be as gross as a scat pile. And they are actually not THAT gross. Which is weird. But I'm a biologist, and a mother of young children.

lichen



Comments

  1. I liked "I'm actually a private person, even though I don't play a private person on social media." I liked it very much. Also the owl pellet reflections, and the relativity of grossness. And of course the nice things you said about me. Thank you. You're very good company, whether online or at a poetry reading or in the car finding wonders along the road. Lucky Jason and Tilly and Jacob. Lucky all of us. Keep playing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too kind yet again, Gerry Sell. I liked "...in the car finding wonders on the road." Looking forward to hearing about your road trip--maybe while we do a mini one. I'm lucky to know you. Thanks for playing. I need to get your sweater back to you!

      Delete

Post a Comment