Day 94 -- Orator

On May 13th, I'll be in Milwaukee to participate in a book launch. I'll be reading two of my poems at the event.
I'm putting on my "fairy ink cap" thinking cap (Coprinellus disseminatus)
In 9th grade, my English teacher had us memorize and recite a poem. With the predictable dread of a public speaking assignment, she assured us we would remember it forever, and be grateful. I have found this to be true, and I enjoyed the exercise. My poem was, is, A Dream Within a Dream by Edgar Allen Poe. Reciting it is my only party trick.

I hope to have my two poems memorized by May 13th. Reading from the page is a thing of beauty, and reciting a poem from memory can give it even more lift. I'm going to try my best.

P.S. Local poet bard, Terry Wooten, recites hundreds of poems from memory--his own and others. You can meet Terry, his poems, and read or recite your own, any Saturday from Mid-June through Labor Day at Stone Circle.


Comments

Post a Comment